Selected menu has been deleted. Please select the another existing nav menu.
=

Govt ‘weighs “solution” to stop PC Andrew Harper’s killers being released from jail’ after a million sign petition

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur. Facilisis eu sit commodo sit. Phasellus elit sit sit dolor risus faucibus vel aliquam. Fames mattis.

HTML tutorial

THE government is weighing up a “solution” that would stop PC Andrew Harper’s killers from being released from jail.

This potential moves comes after more than a million people have signed a petition to keep Albert Bowers and Jessie Cole behind bars.

A possible ‘solution’ could mean PC Andrew Harper’s killers aren’t released from jail Credit: PA

PC Andrew Harper, 28, and his wife Lissie Harper Credit: PA

Justice Secretary Alex Norris is set to unveil a new strategy after being ordered to find a solution by PM Andy Burnham, The Times reported.

After returning from holiday, Burnham said it was “incumbent” on him to do “everything in my power” to prevent the two men from being released.

Sign up for The Jattvibe newsletter

Thank you!

One plan Labour is considering would exempt all those who committed a certain type of manslaughter – known as “unlawful act manslaughter” – from the early release scheme.

It could affect up to 470 ­prisoners convicted of that crime, including  Bowers and Cole.

SMASH HORROR
Teens who died driving wrong way down motorway in crash that killed 5 pictured

SHIRK FROM HOME
WFH finance manager sacked after moving to France sues for unfair dismissal

They were each jailed for 13 years in July 2020 over PC Harper’s death but could be freed in January, halfway through their sentences.

But Ministry of Justice officials have warned that legally targeting a single case wasn’t viable and would invite court challenges.

As an alternative, department officials have drafted broader proposals that would exempt all individuals convicted of unlawful act manslaughter.

No final decision has been reached yet.

Norris has been given until Parliament reconvenes in September to submit a formal proposal.

This comes after the Government gave the green light for thousands of killers, thugs and paedophiles to leave jail.

The plan means two of PC Harper’s killers will be eligible for release within months.

He died trying to stop then-teen quad bike thieves Bowers, Cole and Henry Long in Berkshire on August 15, 2019.

Mr Burnham had raised hopes he could block the move but decided prisons are too full to exclude manslaughter from the scheme.

Ms O’Connor, of Thames Valley Police Federation, said the decision was a betrayal of PC Harper’s legacy.

Debbie Adlam, PC Harper’s mother, told GB News last week that she’s now in a “limbo of hope again” as she waits to hear what the government decide.

She has urged Mr Burnham to not “let us down again”.

The Ministry of Justice said: “Public safety will always be our priority.

“We are fast-tracking a plan to keep more of the most serious offenders behind bars, on top of murderers, anyone on life sentences and those in prison for rape, serious child sexual abuse and grooming offences who are already blocked from any changes.

“We share the public’s anger that these options are even being considered, after we inherited a prison system on the brink of collapse.

“We are fixing this by building 14,000 new prison places, expanding electronic tagging on an unprecedented scale and investing in probation services at record levels.

“We are also exploring how we can go further, including faster deportation of foreign criminals, better use of the women’s estate and reviewing the unjust IPP [imprisonment for public protection] sentences.”

HTML tutorial
Tags :

Search

Popular Posts


Useful Links

Selected menu has been deleted. Please select the another existing nav menu.

Recent Posts

©2025 – All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by JATTVIBE.