Stone-crushing units in Ropar district found non-compliant with environmental norms are not facing immediate closure. Punjab Pollution Control Board (PPCB) has decided to hold meetings with operators and urge them to install air pollution control equipment required under revised norms.PPCB Executive Engineer, Ropar, Vipan Kumar Jindal said a large number of stone crushers had been found non-compliant primarily due to recent changes in environmental norms introduced by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). The revised requirements include mandatory installation of new air pollution control equipment at stone-crushing units.“Directions have been issued to all stone-crushing units in Ropar to install the new air pollution control equipment. They have been given time to comply with the revised norms, which is why closure action has not been initiated against the units at this stage,” Jindal said.He added that meetings were being held with stone crusher owners to explain the revised requirements and ensure the new equipment is installed at the earliest.The National Green Tribunal (NGT) expressed serious concern over the environmental compliance status of stone crushers in Ropar district in a recent order. During the hearing of the application, Mahesh Puri vs State of Punjab and others, on August 3, NGT took note of the compliance report submitted by the PPCB.According to the report, Ropar has 171 stone crushers, of which 153 have been inspected. Only 10 units were found compliant, while 71 were categorised as non-compliant and 55 as partially compliant. Seventeen units were reported closed, and 18 stone crushers are yet to be inspected.The NGT bench, comprising chairperson Justice Prakash Shrivastava and expert Member Dr Afroz Ahmad, observed that units found non-compliant or partially compliant require further inspection and appropriate action by PPCB.The Board informed the tribunal that action had already been initiated against four stone crushers and environmental compensation had been imposed in those cases. It also sought additional time to inspect the remaining 18 units and submit a comprehensive report.The PPCB inspections covered a wide range of environmental safeguards, including conveyor belts and chutes, water spraying arrangements for dust suppression, stabilisation of movement areas, plantation, septic tanks, recirculation tanks, boundary walls, cameras, display of environmental data, and air-pollution control devices.The issue has assumed significance in Ropar, which has long been at the centre of concerns over mining and stone crushing activities due to its location along the Sutlej and adjoining mineral-bearing areas. Environmental groups and residents have repeatedly raised concerns over dust pollution, mining-related environmental degradation, and alleged violations by operators.The NGT proceedings also brought the issue of alleged illegal mining in the district into focus. The applicant placed details of alleged continuing illegal mining before the Tribunal, following which the bench directed authorities to ensure that no illegal mining takes place in Ropar in the meantime.The tribunal’s directions have added pressure on PPCB and other agencies to strengthen monitoring of mining and crushing activities. However, the Board’s current position indicates that the immediate approach towards stone crushers will be compliance, not closure.The matter is scheduled to come up before NGT again on September 9, when PPCB is expected to submit its updated compliance report.


