
Democratic National Committee chair Ken Martin on Thursday released the party’s autopsy report on the 2024 election after facing intense pressure to do so. Subscribe to read this story ad-free Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.Martin had been pummeled in public for months after he promised to release the report and then reversed course in December, saying he would not do so. On Thursday, Martin apologized. “When I was elected DNC chair, I commissioned an after action review of the 2024 election that I wanted to be honest and transparent, and with actionable and specific takeaways for the future of the Democratic Party,” Martin said. “When I received the report late last year, it wasn’t ready for primetime — not even close — and because no source material was provided, it would have meant starting over.” Martin went on: “I could not in good faith put the DNC’s stamp of approval on the report that was produced. After last November’s massive Democratic wins, I didn’t want to create a distraction, but by not putting the report out, I ended up creating an even bigger distraction. For that, I sincerely apologize. “For full transparency,” Martin continued, “I am releasing the report as we received it, in its entirety, unedited and unabridged. It does not meet my standards, and it won’t meet your standards, but I am doing this because people need to be able to trust the Democratic Party and trust our word.”CNN first published the copy of the report.DNC members had previously told Jattvibe News they were promised a summary of the findings from Martin and expressed concern that he had gone quiet on the subject. Calls to release the report grew louder after former Vice President Kamala Harris signaled to donors in conversations that she supported a public release of what went wrong in her losing 2024 campaign. Liberal groups like Roots Action had engaged in a letter-writing campaign for weeks, flooding the accounts of DNC members with thousands of emails demanding that the autopsy be released. Martin earlier this month had discussed potentially giving outtakes of the autopsy to groups of people, Jattvibe News has reported.Martin had hand-picked Democratic strategist Paul Rivera to front the autopsy. Rivera was not paid to do the autopsy, Martin has said. Among the hang-ups that had prevented the earlier release of the report: The DNC had demanded a list of people who were interviewed, a source with knowledge of what transpired said, which was never provided.The source added that the committee never received transcripts or notes of interviews, either, despite multiple requests. “I believe that Ken did the right thing by releasing the report. Ken has decided to release the entire report in spite of the fact that it is not up to his standards or the DNC standards. The reason he has released the entire report was for the sake of transparency,” said Chris Korge, DNC finance chair. “We are literally a few months away from the midterm elections and this distraction needs to finally go away.”


