Selected menu has been deleted. Please select the another existing nav menu.
=

Punjab bandh LIVE updates: Peaceful start to Punjab bandh; no untoward incident reported

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur. Facilisis eu sit commodo sit. Phasellus elit sit sit dolor risus faucibus vel aliquam. Fames mattis.

HTML tutorial

The Punjab bandh called by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha (QIM) began peacefully on Friday, with no untoward incident reported so far and no major disruption to traffic on highways or in urban areas.Trains were operating on time, while a heavy police presence was maintained at key locations across the state to ensure public safety and manage any potential developments.Mohit Aggarwal, Superintendent of Police (SP), Patiala, said there was no cause for concern and that the bandh had remained largely peaceful.Government schools opened as scheduled in the morning, while private schools remain closed.In Mohali and Chandigarh, a majority of business establishments decided to keep their units closed till afternoon, citing the escalating tensions.The QIM has called for the Punjab bandh from 7 am to 2 pm to protest the police action against its members, the registration of FIRs following the August 15 confrontation in Chandigarh and the continued detention of Sikh prisoners (Bandi Singhs).Several organisations extend support to Punjab bandhAugust 21, 2026 9:19 amPanthic organisations, including the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), Sanyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM), Kisan Mazdoor Morcha (KMM), Shiromani Akali Dal Punar-Surjit and Akali Dal Waris Punjab De, have extended their support to the bandh call. Gurcharan Singh, foster father of Babbar Khalsa International chief Jagtar Singh Hawara, said, “The purpose of the bandh is not to harass the general public. It is meant that our grievances should be heard. We need maximum support from the public.” Earlier, he had announced that businesses, transport, roads and rail services would remain suspended from 7 am to 2 pm, while essential services would be allowed to operate. He said that, besides highways and railway tracks, activists would hold protests, dharnas and sit-ins at various locations across the city. He maintained that health services, hospital staff, medical facilities, ambulances, Army and security personnel, people attending weddings or bhog ceremonies and foreign travellers would not be stopped or inconvenienced during the bandh. The QIM’s sit-in protest camp was launched on January 7, 2023, primarily demanding the release of Sikh prisoners who remain in jail despite completing their statutory prison sentences. The protesters have been camping near YPS Chowk on the Chandigarh-Mohali border.Qaumi Insaaf Morcha’s demandsAugust 21, 2026 9:19 amThe Morcha’s demands include the release of Sikh prisoners who have completed their sentences but continue to remain incarcerated. It has also sought parole for Jagtar Singh Hawara and raised demands concerning sacrilege and police-firing cases. The bandh call forwarded the QIM’s march towards the Punjab Governor’s residence in Chandigarh on August 15. Police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters after some of them attempted to breach barricades. The confrontation led to multiple FIRs being registered by the Chandigarh Police against its leaders and supporters.

HTML tutorial

Tags :

Search

Popular Posts


Useful Links

Selected menu has been deleted. Please select the another existing nav menu.

Recent Posts

©2025 – All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by JATTVIBE.